Metron

Metron

Monday, September 18, 2017

Meanwhile, two years later. . .



Blame Vince White for my return.

And all things Powerverse!

Two years - and then some! That's quite a bit of time to be away from thinking about comic books. Actually, though, I've thought about comic books numerous different times, over the last couple of years. Hell, I've even read a comic book or three in that span of time. But, that's quite a different thing from thinking aloud about them, in concentrated form.

And along came a man named Vince White, and this whole concept that he calls the Powerverse. His pièce de résistance is a comic book series titled The Legend of Will Power. I like the concept. It caught my eye. It grabbed my attention. And for the last several days, I have been sort of hanging around the Powerverse, and scrolling postings, clicking on the like button, and visiting first one link after another. I've even been checking out Kickstarter crowdfunding campaigns pertaining to the Powerverse, both current and previously undertaken.

For some reason or other, this Powerverse has apparently re-energized me, powering me up to return to this blog fortress of comic book solitude, that I might have words with myself, once more.

And, you know, that's really not such a bad thing. For me, it's not. For you? Well, it's probably not such a good thing for you, and especially if you happen to stumble by here, sometime, on your trek across the Internet. If you're here, though, then you must already be lost.


It's late at night, as I sit down to pen this - almost one o'clock in the morning. But, some things can't wait, even when you don't really know what to say. Only, you want to say something, and so I think that it best to get out of the way of my own words, and just let them flow to wherever they want to take us to.

So, what do I like about the Powerverse?

I like that it is a really big idea, one that will require the combined efforts of many, many people. It is a concept with a guiding vision, even if it is still too early for the full measure of that vision to manifest itself, yet. The characters of the Powerverse originate from many different minds, and more than a few of them are bold and vibrant and colorful, each in their own right. Its essence is something new, something different, but simultaneously something that rings all too familiar.

Because, from my perspective, the world - nay, the universe, even the multi-verse - can never have too many heroes, and Comicdom (which is where the imagination runs wild sowing the oats of entertainment both night and day) can never have too many villains. And in them all, both superheroes and super villains, we frequently see a little bit of ourselves.


In its early stage of the here and now, the Powerverse is still a crude construct of the imagination just beginning to take form. I don't like everything about it that I've encountered, thus far (that Cosmic Womb, for instance), but the Powerverse's stories have not been told, yet, much less its history written and refined. So, for now, I'm inclined to cut it some slack, even as I respect and admire its attitude and its roster of characters.

What this is going to do is to bring together into the same functioning multi-verse such vibrant, energetic, and colorful characters as Andre Batts' Dreadlocks and Jay Kelley's The Brother. It will bring in Vince White's brainchild, Will Power, and Malley Simpson's Marvelous.

What it's going to do, I believe, is to showcase these really imaginative characters in a way that brings out their very best. Characters of different artists will help to further refine the products of their originators in ways that otherwise would simply not be possible.

There is so much raw energy in some of these super-powered characters that the comic scene is all the poorer for them not being all the more widely known. While some will no doubt tout them as characters of color, I tend to see them as characters of substance in their own right.

One thing that these characters, and other characters that will be in the Powerverse mix with them, bring to the table of the comic book experience for the reader is something that Superman or Spiderman or any of the more widely known comic book superhero staples can't bring - and that is the key to unlocking parts of our respective imaginations, as readers, that Marvel's and DC's characters have neither knowledge of nor access to.

And me? I think that that is. . .simply Marvelous!

These days, time is always in demand. Never enough time to do everything that I want to do. Yet, the time that I spend discussing comic books - even if with myself - is time that I value, time that I consider to be a form of relaxation and reward. The world is a hectic place, and it devours my time, non-stop. So, it is good to seek respite from the non-comic book side of me, and here in this backwater nowhere of a blog, I partake of solitude in comic book form, once more.

And for that, Vince White, you have my cosmic gratitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment