Metron

Metron

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I've Smashed Your Invulnerable Fortress, Superman!

I remember reading this issue of Superman, back in the day. I bought it, and I have always liked the way that the Galactic Golem came crashing through the door of Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

That's back before Superman's special abode on Earth became all crystallized. That big damned door, the one that required that huge key to open, now THAT'S the real Fortress of Solitude, in my book - and in my memory.

I don't remember a lot about this particular story, but I do like the way that the Galactic Golem looked. He looked better on the front cover, than he did in the interior pages. But, such is life in the lane of comic book super villains.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to draw like this?

Well, some people can, of course. I just don't happen to be one of them. If I did, then I think that I would probably just draw most all of the time, in my spare time.

Galactic Golem bursts through the door with such force, that chunks of the door break off and fling through the room where Superman's standing. The motion and direction of these debris pieces are really what make this scene stand out.

The coloring around the speech bubbles for the Galactic Golem help to underscore the forcefulness of his voice.

In spite of his by-now legendary super speed and super reflexes, once again, Superman is caught off guard. Hey, what's up with that, anyway? In movies, especially, Superman's reflexes usually tend to be no faster - and sometimes slower than - otherwise normal human beings. Remember when Lex Luthor (played by Kevin Spacey) manages to stab Superman with a piece of Kryptonite, in that Superman Returns movie? What's up with that?! Faster than a speeding bullet, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment